Thursday, October 25, 2012

Raw Ranch Veggie Wraps


First, thanks to all of you who have left comments and emails with words of encouragement and confirmation about my new blog. I'm super stoked to open the doors to new things on my blog. I'm also going to transfer over some of the savory recipes from Sweetly Raw and Universal Eater.

Now it's time for a savory recipe! I'm wrap obsessed these days - actually I have been for a while. I've been eating wraps for lunch or dinner almost every day for the past 2 months. You might say it sounds rather monotonous but there are heaps of filling options - whatever strikes your fancy. Since I'm a creature of habit, I don't mind the same fillings on a regular basis. When I get on a new food kick I end up eating the same thing for a while, lol (well, except for desserts ;).

You may remember me getting wrap-happy in September with these raw veggie burger wraps with caesar dipping

The wrap meal I eat daily consists of a dehydrated veggie wrap filled with lettuce, tomato, red pepper, cucumber, and meat. I spread on some kind of creamy dressing and if I have cooked broccoli, I add that too. I even added roasted brussell sprouts lately. Or a combo of all the above. I also like spiralized zucchini in it - sometimes I make a container of it to add to salads and these wraps.


The wraps are lightly adapted from Cheri Soria's pepper ama wraps. I started make these many years ago, but somehow forgot about them for too long. Glad they've resurfaced in my kitchen again!

I promise these wraps are super easy and I recommend making a double batch. Fill up the dehydrator!

Veggie Wraps

6 cups chopped red bell pepper
2 cups chopped zucchini
1 cup chopped tomato
1 cup sundried tomatoes, soaked for a few hours and drained
1 avocado
1 1/2 tablespoons psyllium
1/4 teaspoon sea salt

Blend all ingredients together in a high speed blender until smooth. Use the tamper to help it blend. The mixture should be smooth and will be thick.
Evenly spread layers of mixture onto teflex sheets. Don't spread too thin or the wrap will be brittle or so thin once it's dehydrated that it breaks once you fill and roll it.
Dehydrate at 115F for at least 6 hours or until you can peel the wrap off the sheet. If still a little wet on the underside, place on the mesh screen a dry a little longer. Keep checking. The wrap should be pliable but not too wet.

The dip/creamy dressing brings it all to life for me - I usually spread a little of it in the wrap itself and then have a side to dip the wrap in. Reason being, if you add too much inside the wrap it can seep through the fillings and cause the wrap to break apart. No good, right??


I have two slightly different raw ranch dressings/dips for you today along with my caesar dressing. You can always find a jar of my caesar on hand in my fridge for salads and dip.

Creamy Ranch Dressing #1

This is a more herby ranch that I love. Use greater amounts of fresh herbs if you prefer, to taste. The flavors will develop more as it sits.

3/4 cup cashews
1/3-1/2 cup water (depending on how thick you like it - if you want a thicker dip, use 1/4 cup)
4 teaspoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons apple cider vingegar
1 small clove garlic
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
2 drops stevia
3/4 teaspoon dried dill
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon dried basil
1 tablespoon finely chopped green onion

Blend all but the dried herbs and green onion until smooth and creamy in a high speed blender.
Transfer to a bowl. Stir in the herbs/onion.

Perfect for dipping veggies!

Creamy Ranch #2

You know that I love irish moss and put it in lots of my desserts. This time I decided to add some moss gel to the ranch, but you could probably get away with adding 1-2 tablespoons olive oil instead. Of course I recommend making a batch of irish moss for this recipe, and the rest for some of my desserts at Sweetly Raw ;) Another difference in this recipe is that I've used all fresh herbs and omitted the basil and oregano.

3/4 cup cashews
3 tablespoons irish moss gel
1/4 - 1/2 cup water
4 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
4 teaspoons lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 small clove garlic
2 drops stevia
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill
2-3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
1 tablespoon finely chopped green onion

Blend all but the herbs until smooth and creamy. Transfer to a bowl and fold in the herbs. Let sit in the fridge for a few hours to maximize flavor.


Creamy Caesar Dressing

You've seen this on Sweetly Raw many times because it's my absolute favorite. Sometimes I add fresh dill to it, or a bunch of spinach (pulsed in at the end). I personally like lots of pepper in it. Makes it very "caesar-y".

2 medium avocados
1/2-1 cup water
1/4 cup cashews, optional (makes it more rich and creamy - I usually leave them out)
1/4 cup lemon juice, or more
1/4 cup olive oil
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
1-2 teaspoons himalayan salt
1-2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2-3 cloves garlic
1 date, pitted

Blend all ingredients until smooth, starting with lesser amounts of salt and pepper. Add enough water to achieve desired thickness.


31 comments:

  1. Heather, these look incredibly delicious! As soon as I get my dehydrator, I am making these! Amazing recipe, girl! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes you must!!! :) So many things you can do with a dehydrator. Im excited for you!! xo

      Delete
  2. These look terrific! And I love all the colors :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. yummy! love wraps!
    xoxo
    purelytwins

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to hang out with you in your kitchen while you create your magical goodies :)

    P.S. Booked the hotel and the bus for the 31st!! Squeee! (I'll figure out the way back afterwards. Easy-breezy ;) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yippeee yay!!! We;ll have fun in the kitchen for sure. I've got a few meals/treats already lined up for you ;)

      Delete
  5. Oh that caesar dressing sounds amazing Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Gabby! I've made it countless times - always a jar in my fridge and make it for clients every week. I hope you try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a creature of habit too! There are things I could never get tired of! :) Your homemade raw ranch sounds DELICIOUS!!!! I bet my sister would love that -- she is obsessed with that stuff. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kat! The ranch is so creamy and yummy! Pass it on to your sis ;)

      Delete
  8. Heather these wraps look sooo good! I still need to make some raw wraps, so I should use your recipe :)!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Amy! You have to try them - I know you'll be hooked ;) They're my daily staple now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow this wrap looks simply AMAZING.... GOt me drooling with this sauce. Mmm.
    I saw this on Allergy Free Weds - if you're interested, I also shared my recipes on there: my banana bread muffins and mocha banana protein soft serve. Have a great morning :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those both sound so delicious Kamila (minus the mocha cuz I don't like coffee lol). Loooove banana bread! Will check em out.

      Delete
  11. This wraps look amazing! We have been missing out on wraps due to our dietary restrictions! Can't wait to make these!
    I'd love to have you link this up at our Gluten Free Fridays recipe link up over at vegetarianmamma.com It actually will go live tonight at 7:05 pm eastern! We are having a giveaway this week from Domata Gluten Free Products! Hope that you can join us, I'd love for you to share some of your awesome goodies!!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello to you lovely Heather. I'm featuring this awesome recipe tonight on AFW!! You always inspired me...always. Thank you for YOU!!!

    Hugs,
    --Amber

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I need to look out for a dehydrator - I see such lovely things on blogs which have been made in one! Are they difficult to use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I highly recommend it Christine! The Excalibur is the best. Go for the 5 or 9 tray. So easy to use! And these wraps are ridiculously easy.

      Delete
  14. Sounds delicious! I will have a try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yum Heather. You are so incredibly talented. I love everything you do. Muwah!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Help I need these recipes and can't read them because of the border help!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I lovelovelove this idea but how do you store them? Also, how many does it make? And last, it would probably work with different veggies in the wrap blend, yes? Would you want to stick to veggies that have roughly the same water content as the ones you're replacing? thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kelsey, Not sure if it will notify you of my reply because I think I posted it as a separate comment lol.

      Delete
  18. Thanks. Just store them in a large ziplock bag or plastic wrap in the fridge. Sorry this post is old and I haven't made them in a while so I don't remember how many the recipe makes. YOu can try subbing other veggies and see how it turns out :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Are they not chewy like fruit/veggie leather gets? I need a wrap recipe the family will love...but I know they won't eat them if it gets like fruit leather...They sound good though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, they're not sticky/chewy like fruit leather because of the avocado - it adds a different texture than just a veggie leather. They're really nice and pliable.

      Delete
  20. HI: I JUST GOT MINE IN THE DEHYDRATOR, oops (all caps) I haven't made a lot in it, Kale Chips~ but I want a substitute for bread. It makes me sleepy,sluggish and foggy brain. Our family's diet seems to include a lot of bread, so making wraps makes sense + they are soo good for you! I'll let you know how they come out. Thanks for the posting. Now I'm going to make some hummus. Yum! Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Made the Caesar dressing last night... Very good and 'hubbie' liked it too. I do not have a dehydrator but have read that I can use my 'oven' instead and perhaps that's not a 'bad thing' if I want to really make a 'big batch' and freeze. After A YEAR with doctors on steroids, methotrexate and other 'stuff' to try to cure allergic 'conjunctivitis', nothing has worked. My eyesight has gotten 'blurry' and I'm at risk of losing it altogether if I can't get my immune system back in check. NONE of the doctors recommended 'dietary' changes ! They just wanted me to pop pills and make them and the pharmaceutical companies rich.. So I'm going 'gluten & sugar free' and doing several 'cleanses' for awhile to see if that helps. So I'll be watching for more great recipes. Thanks for sharing this one. I emptied out a salad dressing (dairy based that I won't be using anymore) and filled it up with this ! Can't wait to eat a salad tonight :) Will be following you...

    ReplyDelete