Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Red Pepper Kale Quiche - Gluten Free/Low Carb


Here's the most delicious quiche I've ever had (my mom makes an amazing cheesy spinach quiche that I grew up eating BUT it's the unhealthy kind). Today's recipe is the perfect dish to make if you're looking for a substantial meal packed with protein, veggies, and healthy fats. It's great if you need to feed a family and it stretches into many meals if its only for two people like J and I. It also freezes well which we did because we didn't feel like eating 4 quiche dinners in a row. I even brought it as road food for one of our short trips. Oh, and did I mention that it's not only gluten free, but it's grain free too! I'll be making this one again soon.


Red Pepper Kale Quiche

Crust

2 cups blanched almond flour
1 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
1 egg
4 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small squares

Preheat oven to 350F.
Combine all ingredients in a food processor (add in order given). Pulse together until it forms a dough.
Press the dough into the bottom and evenly up the sides of a 9" glass pie plate.
Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the crust becomes lightly golden.

Filling

1-2 teaspoons coconut oil
1 cup packed chopped kale
2 green onions, sliced
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 red pepper, diced
1 cup shredded white cheddar cheese (I used raw cheese), or mozzarella
6 eggs
Salt and pepper

Cook the kale in a little bit of water, until just cooked (or steam it).
Heat the coconut oil in a large pan and then add the mushrooms, red pepper, and green onions. Saute until just cooked (don't overcook, they will continue to cook in the quiche).
Whisk the eggs together in a large bowl. Add the cooked kale and other veggies. Add a sprinkle of salt and pepper (important).
Add the cheese and stir in.
Pour the mixture into the baked crust. Place on a baking sheet and place in the oven for about 25-30 minutes, or until the eggs are cooked.

It makes a great dinner with a side of broccoli and a salad!


And remember to enter the giveaway for Arbonne's natural sea salt scrub in this post!


Shared at Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays

7 comments:

  1. Wow, this looks delicious! I'm a low carb grain-free kinda girl with a great interest in food, health and cooking and I recently stumbled upon your raw desserts! I'm also really fascinated by raw food, even though I coulndn't imagine doing it 100%, I really wish I could do it more often. You've definitely inspired my to try - even though I have a busy life as a mom, wife and medical student! ;-)
    This quiche is absolutely going on the menu next week, when my coeliac and vegetarian mom is visiting. Thank you so much!
    Sincerely, Eva from Denmark :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Love red pepper, I love Kale and I love quiche! Sounds like a win win! I hope you stop by Gluten Free Fridays this week to link up this yummy recipe! It will be live Thursday evening at 7:05 pm! We are having a Gluten Free giveaway this week to one lucky person! Hope to see you there! Cindy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds so delish. I'd love to try. I don't have a food processor, would I get the same results with mixing the dough by hand?
    I love your blogs and am now following you.
    Elle from http://chocolateandcauliflower.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you can mix the dough by hand - just make sure to mix it really well to fully incporporate the egg and butter.

      Delete
  4. Lovely, will def try it :) Thanks Heather!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wanted to take out the cheese in the pie crust, but do you think it will still hold together? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cheese does help hold it together but you can try with all almond flour.

      Delete